Thursday, November 3, 2011

Scouting the City of the Dead......

A few weekends ago I several spare hours and took off into the city of the Dead (a sentence you do not write often!).  Cairo has several extremely large areas within the city where the dead are buried and have been for many centuries.  Due to pressure on land and poverty people live within the City and hence they have the name City of the Dead.  They are full on wonderful and often run down Marmuluk and older tombs.  I scouted a few areas for future photography weekends as I did not have much time due to heavy traffic getting there.  Heres a couple of images from my visit - expect more when I "Return to the City of the Dead" (did I just write that!?!).


Donkeys hauling rubbish up to the Mokkatum hills, be nice to Cairos donkeys, they have a hard life!

A beautiful rundown tomb complex, I was going to jump the fence and have a look around as this looks like great black and white photo territory.  The large pack of angry wadi dogs made me decide against.

Wash day in the City of the Dead.  Like Henry Fords Model T, you can have whatever colour you want as long as its black....

View across the City of the Dead, all the buildings are family tomb enclosures, some over 1000 years old.

Tombs and minarets

The Citadels fortress walls and the Mohammed Ali mosque in the distance

A dead car in the City of the Dead....For a car to be abandoned in Cairo it has to be in REAL bad shape.

Bread delivery chap weaving through the traffic

Loafer salesman



No comments:

Post a Comment