Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pesky Pied Kingfishers


As the sun went down I "went over the wall" onto the golf course and down to the lake by the 15th tee where I had watched the pied kingfishers dive bombing small fish at the weekend as I creamed a beautiful drive straight up the fairway. There's a small hut and some trees so I thought I could skulk around and creep up on the little blighters.

Armed with telephoto I went around the lake as the kingfishers tantalisingly moved out of distance every time I stopped. So I inserted myself into the undergrowth and waited. Eventually one forgot I was buried in the palms and landed very close on one of the perches I had seen them use. However he was too close and boy, have they got sharp eyesight because every time I moved the camera to my eye he would look carefully at me ready to dart away. I got a couple before he shot off. Maybe I try again, it gives you great respect for wildlife photographers.

No comments:

Post a Comment