Thursday, September 30, 2010

Art, but not as we know it, Jim.

With kids happily water-based, and wife chatting away with friends I was able to nick off for a few minutes with new camera at El Gouna. The boys have a great pop song ontheir ipods that has a line "put a doiiyngg on it" - well this is the artisitic version - put it into black and white and call it art!

My collection of photos from the shallow mud bank at El Gouna.

Probably due to my geological interests I find ripples fascinating at least geometrically. The shallow bank at El Gouna becomes emergent at low tide and has great sets of symmetrical ripples which when the light drops in the evening have great shadows.....
As the tide came in shallow wind-driven ripples were pushed towards the coast, tracking across the extensive bank at walking pace. I came across this small rock getting unindated by the rising tide. I used quite a high contrast for the print, I like the shadow patte
rns of the wave fronts....

Heres a close up of the ripples, beautiful diffraction patterns of the waves trend interfering with the wind trend.

I had a play around in Photoshop with a couple of images adding filters and modifying colours and contrast. This first one I like a lot, it looks like seismic data that the oil industry use to image the subsurface (its actually a photo of the sand bank looking towards a distant flag).


Last one is a ripple photo that I have filtered in various ways (mainly "plaster") - give a nice texture.

1 comment:

  1. Very very nice, I'm very impressed - would look great as pictures. xxx

    ReplyDelete